Thursday, August 21, 2008

observe.

Everything in Paris is small...and really expensive

-showers
-food portions
-(alcoholic) drink portions

-water heaters
-yogurt cups

-water bottles
-coffee
-toilets
-rooms in general
-kitchens
-cell phones
-pipes/drains

the list goes on. feel free to add.

Today was a good day. We had our first day of French practicum. It was actually really refreshing to be in a learning environment again. My professor's name is Veronique. She is so precious and basically is a second mom. I've been really impressed with all the employees of the Accent Center and the UC Center. Everyone I've met that works with the program has been extremely sweet and helpful. I'm really grateful for the next 11 day French practicum. I can already tell that my French has gotten better, even after just one day! In 10 (school) days, I'll be a pro (not)!

It also rained really hard today; And me being the ridiculous person I am, decided to wear my TOMS because I had a green jacket on and they matched. In case you didn't know, TOMS are adorable canvas shoes that when you buy a pair, the company donates a pair to a child in need. Well, these TOMS definitely were not smart for the rain. By the time I got to school, my feet were soaking wet! So after class from 9-12, my friends and I went to ERAM, a store across the street, and bought rain boots! I got an amazingly sleek pair of black rain boots that are incredibly hard to get on and off. It's seriously like a work out trying to get them off!

With my new rain boots, the rest of the day was SO much better! After our classes, the UC program has little excursions planned for us. Today we went to a little museum near the Louvre called
Musée du Jeu de Paume. The museum housed a Richard Avedon exhibit. I can't even describe how ridiculously happy I was walking through the exhibit. It was so amazing. Richard Avedon (www.richardavedon.com) is a really famous fashion photographer that also did some other spectacular pieces. I am so happy that we went to a museum today, AND that Paris is filled with SO many others. Being among such great pieces of classic and contemporary art is such an honor and so fulfilling. It really makes me think about being an Art History major (but that won't really happen).

SO skip forward about 5 hours...Julie, Allie, Megan and I went to the Eiffel Tower for the first time since we've been in Paris. The highlight of the night was when we were approached by 3 French guys that told us they thought we were cute. We didn't know what to say but ended up making up fake names and chatting a little. They took pictures with us and then gave us their phone number. We talked to them again an hour later in a different location. It was quite amusing, and you can call me Erin for the night.

(pictures of the day to come)


It's almost been a full week since I first arrived in Paris for my four month stay! It's going by very quickly, but I'm quite content with my life here thus far. I'm really fortunate to have so much family here in Europe, especially in Paris. I've saved a lot of money by staying with my grandparents, and feel like I've gotten to know them SO much better. My cousin Toan was here for a little bit too. We met up with my aunt and another cousin the other night for drinks!:







































Here's a picture of the view from my room at my grandparent's apartment!


















I've been spending most of my time with 4 girls: Julie, Megan, and Allie. They are so much fun and I am so happy that we can all experience Paris together!





























That was a VERY long blog... enjoy!


Miss you all and would love to hear from you! Email me (mailanpham@gmail.com) and update me about your lives please!!!

(currently listening to: Hot Chip)

bisous!!!

No comments: